Reflections on 2020 - Looking ahead to 2021
I think I speak for most of us when I say that 2020 did not turn out how I expected... at all. But, even though it was a crazy year, and it's undeniable that a lot of 2020 was filled with grief and anxiety, I would be lying if I said that there wasn't a lot of good that came from 2020.
For me, I learned a lot about myself, made some big career changes and learned to be grateful for a lot of things I normally take for granted. The time dragged but also seemed to fly by. I wish this year had never happened and am also eternally grateful for where we're all at now. This year has given us contradictions, that much is for sure.
As we say goodbye to this year once and for all, we wanted to take a moment to reflect on the good that came from 2020, and lessons we've learned and the ways we've grown, and also take a moment to set some intentions for 2021. We've put together some journal prompts and affirmations to hopefully take you through the New Year.
Journal Prompts can be a powerful way to reflect on parts of your life that you might push to the side during your normal daily routine. They can be useful in encouraging you to explore things you might typically avoid even in typical journaling. These prompts try to reflect on the past year and prepare you for the coming year.
1. What boundaries do you have / need to communicate?
2. What from the past year are you grateful for?
3. What have you learned about yourself in the past year?
4. What is your relationship with rest like? Are you happy with this and is it something you want to shift in the coming year?
5. In what ways are you caring for your community? How can you continue this or extend it in 2021?
6. What do you have to be proud of?
7. What are you no longer willing to accept?
8. How can you show yourself more compassion? How can you show others more compassion?
9. What do you need to release in order to move forward?
10. What does your most authentic self look like?
Affirmations can feel a bit odd to start with, but they can really help you shift your mindset and practice manifestation. At the very least, it can help you get into the habit of speaking to yourself with more kindness. The idea is to say things as though they are already true, in an attempt to have them both come true, and also shift your perspective. Try repeating these to yourself daily, upon waking up or right before bed. Feel free to adapt them to your own needs.
1. I have done enough this year.
2. I deserve to feel joy next year.
3. My pain this year was valid.
4. I am allowed to take time to heal from the communal trauma of this year.
5. Comparison has no place in my heart right now.
6. I am grateful for all that I have and all that I am.
7. I can overcome anything, and every experience is a lesson.
8. I am courageous and stand up for myself.
9. My fears and anxieties are melting away.
10. I am at peace with all that has happened, is happening and will happen.
We hope that these affirmations and prompts can help you find some inner peace after this hectic year. I know they've helped me.